CompSIGtips mailing list
The CompSIGtips list is for people who people who want to learn more about how to use their computer. Only people subscribed to the list can post to the list.
Subscribers are expected to use discretion in posting a message. Improper language and rude or irresponsible messages won't be tolerated. We reserve the right to accept, reject, or revoke membership for any reason.
Please keep in mind that CompSIGtips List is managed by a volunteer who must manage a number of list duties not visible to the subscribers. Be sure that the volunteer manager will attend to all administration, queries, etc. in a timely matter - but responses to queries will not be immediate.
Generally acceptable topics include
- technology issues that face genealogists
- recommendations of websites that are computer relevant (tips, FAQs how-to-pages, security/computer protection software etc.)
- AFHS SIG and SIGlet issues
Unacceptable topics include
- chain letters
- wuestions relating to a subscription including SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE
- requests for lookups you could do yourself
- virus warning messages; these will be sent by the list owner if needed. If you are concerned about a virus or warning check out a virus information library. Some excellent libraries are:
- don't forget to check out these hoax libraries as well:
- Post: email@example.com
- Subscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Unsubscribe: email@example.com
- Problems: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscribe: Send mail to email@example.com with ONLY the following command in the BODY of your e-mail message: subscribe compsigtips (it doesn't matter what is in the subject line).
- Unsubscribe: Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with ONLY the following command in the BODY of your e-mail message: unsubscribe compsigtips (or from another account besides the one you subscribed from: unsubscribe compsigtips email@example.com).
Please note: you will need to receive 4 messages from the software before you succeed in subscribing (you only get one when you successfully unsubscribe.) Most of the maintenance activities such as subscribe, unsubscribe, and change of address for the dist-gen list are handled by the list server program and response is immediate.
The program requires that commands be in a specific format. If it does not understand your command it will bounce the message back to you. Just fix it up and resend it. Some normally unseen activities are done by a human volunteer who will attempt to attend to them in a timely manner.
Conditions of use
AFHS administers the CompSIGtips list as a service; access to and use of the list is guided by the following conditions which are required of all subscribers. These conditions may be revised occasionally; when that happens, they will be distributed to all subscribers of the list.
- CompSIGTips messages are not confidential, and they can easily be copied, forwarded, and published; be careful in what you say and what possibly-copyrighted material you post in a message to the list.
- You must not post messages to the list that contain copyrighted material unless the author has given permission for this specific purpose.
- The statements, views and opinions contained in such communications and materials are those of the author and are not endorsed by, nor do they necessarily reflect the opinion of the Alberta Family Histories Society.