Assist other researchers by helping to grow our information databases.
Transcribers needed. Help the Projects Committee record newspaper births, marriages and deaths (BMD) announcements.
- Work from home!
- Do as little or as much as you’d like (every little bit helps).
- Have fun adding to the Alberta Family Histories Society’s databases.
- Get that warm glow contributing to a worthwhile project gives you!
Contact Heather Williams for more information: projects [at] afhs.ab.ca
Search our growing BMD Database now!
Two seminars are coming up in April 2013 in Alberta.
One is being sponsored by the Calgary Family History Center. It will be held on April 27 at the LDS church on 17th Avenue SW in Calgary. It is a one-day seminar covering a variety of topics for researchers from beginners to advanced levels. You can find more information on this conference, here.
The other is the AGS Conference 2013 in Edmonton, April 20-21. It will be held at the Chateau Louis Conference Centre. More information on this conference can be found here.
Maybe we’ll see you there!
Recently, renowned Alberta genealogist Lyn Meehan gave a talk at one of our general meetings. The topic was Irish Resources and it turns out we have ALL the books she recommends in our own AFHS library!
- Irish Genealogy: A record finder / Donal F. Begley – 941.5 BEGL 1981.
- Tracing Your Irish Ancestors: the complete guide, 3rd edition / John Grenham – 941.5 GREN 2006.
- Irish Records: Sources for family and local history / James G. Ryan- 941.5 RYAN 1997.
- General Alphabetical Index to the townlands and towns, parishes andbaronies of Ireland: based on the census of Ireland for the year 1851 / Ireland. Register General – 941.5 TOWN 1851.
- Irish and Scotch-Irish Ancestral Research: a guide to the genealogical records, methods and sources in Ireland, Volume 1 and 2 / Margaret Dickson Falley – 941.5 FALL Vol. 1 and 941.5 FALL Vol. 2.
Thanks to Linda, Helen, Lorna, Donna, Marion and Marion for all their good work as the Library Committee. Check out what else we have to offer here!
The Alberta Family Histories Society is currently looking for volunteers to fill a number of positions. I’ll bet we have folks who could help us with some of these. Cruise through the list and contact us with any questions.
- Vice President (provides support to the President in his or her duties and prepares to eventually fill that position for a term)
- Secretary (takes minutes at meetings, etc.)
- Director of Finances (this is not the Treasurer position)
- Director at Large (attends Board meetings, participating in discussion and voting)
- Periodical Committee
- Volunteer Coordinator
Ever wish you could find all the news on upcoming genealogy conferences in one place? Well now you can! This little site promises to be “a website designed to compile all genealogy and family history related conferences in one place.”
Visit the Conference Keepers website.