Allen & Mackenzie
The head-quarters of this firm are at Moose Jaw, N.W.T. They are the
original hop-beer men of the Northwest. Their buildings at Moose Jaw
are large and well fitted up. They do a large business extending over
a distance of over 800 miles-from Winnipeg to the Columbia River.
They manufacture light beers, porters, and other temperance drinks,
Their branch here is in charge of Mr. Mackenzie, Mr. Allen having
the management at Moose Jaw.
These gentlemen's stables are situated at the rear of the Grand Central
Hotel. They commenced business in 1883, on the east side of the river,
and during the rush to the west side they joined in the agitation,
removing their large stable, and also about twenty buildings for other
people. Messrs. Bain Bros. keep first-class saddle-horses, and driving
teams and rigs, and take care of horses. They are courteous and attentive
to their customers, and are getting a large share of the trade..
J.G. Baker & Co.
This firm, which is well and favorably known all over the western
country, may be justly regarded as the mercantile fathers of Calgary.
The reader will see, from a perusal of the historical sketch of the
town in the front part of the book, that they arrived here and established
their business in 1875. Besides building the Mounted Police Post,
they erected a trading post for themselves in the bend of the Elbow,
which they still occupy. Their head-quarters are at St. Louis (Mo.),
and their store at Benton (Mon. Ter.) has been one of the institutions
of the west for many a year. The business here was first in charge
of Mr. ______. For the it has been in charge of Mr. J. L. Bowen, whose
courtesy and affability have maintained the old popularity of the
firm. Indeed, we may truthfully say that Messrs J. G. Baker &
Co. are the pioneer traders of this portion of the district, as well
as of Calgary. They also have a branch a Fort MacLeod, in charge of
Mr. Davis. The firm have a second store on McTavish street, south
of the Royal Hotel. This is for the convenience of their customers,
as their wholesale warehouses are situated on the Elbow, about three-quarters
of a mile from the branch store. In the palmy days the business done
by this firm was something which may be measured by the word ~' immense."
Their business principles have always squared with their actions,
and upon this line, as frontier traders, they built up a colossal
trade, and made their business a financial success.
Bannerman & Co.
This firm keep on hand a large stock of books, stationery, and fancy
goods, including school-books, blank-books, family Bibles, dictionaries,
drawing papers, tracing-cloth, etc. Their store is in the post-office,
Stephen avenue. They commenced business a year ago, and always have
a large stock on hand. Mr. James Bannerman is manager. He is also
assistant-postmaster, and since his arrival here, which dates from
last fall, he has made many friends by his strict attention to and
zealous activity in the discharge of his onerous duties.
This gentleman keeps a tobacco and cigar store, next door to the Northwest
Land Company's office, Stephen avenue. His stock consists of the choicest
The livery, feed, and sale stables of this gentleman are situated
on the east side of the Elbow. He started about a year ago, and keeps
on hard about $3,000 worth of stock. His stables and equipment are
first-class in all respects.
Although a High River ranchman, and not necessarily coming within
the scope of our pamphlet, we have made an exception of the subject
of this sketch, because he is well and favorably known in Calgary,
and does not fail to take a lively interest in its welfare. Mr. Bliss
commenced ranching about three years ago, in company with Mr. Bell,
also well and favorably known here. Mr. Bell went to Montreal a few
weeks ago, where he will probably remain, as he has gone out of the
business, which, however, Mr. Bliss continues. He has 40 head of horses
and 600 head of sheep on his ranch, and as he is a practical man and
a hard worker, he cannot fail of success. He has a good location and
a host of well-wishers.
This gentleman opened his office as barrister, attorney, and solicitor,
on the east side of the river, in , 188 . He practised for a year
or so at Edmonton; and came from Belleville, Ont. Mr. Bleeker became
a west-sider in June last, removing his office to its present location~next
to Dr. Lindsay's, Stephen avenue east. He has a large practice, especially
in the courts; and last month he was appointed town solicitor.
Buck & Smith
This firm carry on the business of builders and contractors. Their
establishment is situated on Atlantic avenue east, near King &
Co.'s. Mr. Smith formerly carried on business on his own account.
The present partnership is of recent date. They are first-class workmen,
and at the present time have several extensive contracts on hand.
Their card will be found in our advertising pages.
Thomas S. Burns
Dates his arrival from August, 1883. He is from East Linton, Haddingtonshire,
Scotland, but has spent a few years in Canada, especially in the Northwest.
His business is that of auctioneer, valuator, and justice of the peace.
He is one of the publishers of this pamphlet, and in all matters affecting
the welfare of Calgary he has been a firm and devoted friend. His
office is on Stephen avenue, Calgary east, opposite Parrish &
Co. s. His advertisement will be found on another page.
The subject of this sketch arrived at Fort McLeod, in 1874, from Barrowfield,
near Kingston, Ont, to which place he belongs. His claims as an oldtimer
are therefore admitted. Mr. Butland was connected with the Mounted
Police force. He remained at Fort MacLeod about a year, and came to
Fort Calgary in 1875, the year the post was built, and has continued
here ever since. In 1880 he left the force and located on his present
ranch, on the northwest quarter of section 33, township 23, range
1, west of the fifth principal meridian. His house is about two and
a half miles from town Mr. Butland has 60 head of cattle and 17 head
of horses on the ranch, besides a number of small stock. Twenty-five
acres of land are broken, and there are a good barn and stable. The
farm borders on the Elbow River, and for a distance of 300 yards on
the exposed bank a seam of splendid freestone about six feet in depth
crops out. This stone has been examined by Major Bowles, Mr. Ross
(of the Canadian Pacific construction company), Mr. Shields (of the
Canadian Pacific Railway), Sheriff Chapleau and Mr. Henderson (of
the Public Works Department), and Mr. Redpath, and they pronounce
it to be of the very best quality. Mr. Butland, as the owner of this
valuable quarry, is certainly to be congratulated as possessing a
real "bonanza." The distance from this outcropping stone
to the nearest point on the Canadian Pacific Railway line is only
two miles, and as the quarry is to be worked by enterprising capitalists,
a spur-line can easily be constructed. Last summer a wash-out occurred
on the Elbow River, leaving exposed a seam of shale, which Mr. Tyrrell
(of Dr. Dawson's staff) pronounced as a sure indication of the existence
of coal in the immediate vicinity so that Mr. Butland has both coal
and freestone under his farm. Mr. B. recently paid a visit to his
old home, near Kingston, after an absence of ten years, but he saw
no place superior to Calgary and its surroundings.
Calgary Theatre Hall
This institution was erected last year. It is with the exception of
Fraser's rink, the largest building in town. It was built last summer.
Messrs. Whitman & Buck were the contractors. The stage and fixtures
were completed under the supervision of Mr. T. H. Dunne. The whole
enterprise is due to Capt. Boynton who is now in England. Capt. Boynton
has been the means of assisting the building industry of the place,
three or four large buildings in the town being due to his enterprise.
Calgary Theatre Hall has been leased to Mr. T. H. Dunne, who has formed
a local dramatic troupe, whose talented performances furnish the people
with healthy amusement.
Colin N. Campbell
This gentleman located in Calgary November, 1883. He is a son of the
Hone. C. J. Campbell, of Nova Scotia, and was admitted to the Bar
of Nova Scotia in 1872. Mr. Campbell, immediately on his arrival here
began the practice of his profession, first hanging out his shingle
near J. G. Baker's, then on the Denny estate. During the "exodus"
Mr. Campbell joined the immigration and became a west-sider, moving
his office to Stephen avenue east, near the residence of Lindsay.
Mr. Campbell enjoys a good practice. He keeps abreast of the times,
and he makes a specialty of office work and the more intricate forms
Dates his arrival from the summer of 1883. Mr. Campbell is a practical
builder and he does substantial work . He has put up under contract
a number of buildings in the town, among others, Alex Macdonald's
large feed and livery stables, Stephen avenue, opposite Parrish &
Mr. Campbell has been appointed town assessor for the current
year, and he is now engaged in the work of assessment. He is a warm
friend of the town, and a live municipal politician
the Canada Northwest Land Co.
This popular Company are the trustees and part-owners of all the towns
and villages along the line of the Canadian Pacific Railway from Brandon
to the Rocky Mountains. Two years ago they purchased from the Canadian
Pacific Railway Company 5,000,000 acres of the Railway Company's land
grant in the Northwest together with half an interest in the sites
of all the towns and villages located during the construction and
within one year of the completion of the railway from Winnipeg to
the Pacific Coast. This comprises a distance of upwards of 800 miles,
and the lands comprised in their 'purchase are for the most part adjacent
to the main line of the rail-way and in the fertile prairies of southern
Manitoba, the admitted garden of that province.
As one of the stipulations of the railway grant from the Dominion
is the lands must be suitable for settlement, this condition also
applies to the lands of the Canada Northwest Land Company. The capital
necessary to carry on this commendable enterprise has been secured
in England, Scotland and Canada. The necessary powers to assist
emigration and colonization are contained in their articles of Association.
The management of the Company is in the hands of a home Board
of Directors, also a local board in the city of Winnipeg. This Company
has already won the highest esteem from the public both for the
honorable as well as generous manner in which it has acted to-wards
those who have had dealings with it. Their general terms for town
lots are one third cash, balance in one and two years, with six
percent, interest. They have half an interest in Whitewood, Grenfell,
Oak Lake, Alexander, Virden, Moosomin, Broadview, Moose Jaw, Qu'Appelle,
Regina, Medicine Hat and Calgary. The town of Calgary was laid out
on January 14th, 1884. At that time there were only two or three
railway sheds on section 15 on which the town site is located. The
terms offered by the North west Land Company through their agent,
Mr. N. T. Ramsay, were $300 per lot on Atlantic and Pacific avenues,
$450 for corners ; $50 down, and a rebate of one-half if proper
buildings were put up on the lots before the 15th of April.
The Company also gave preference in purchasing to the residents.
of the town. This offer was generally accepted, and the terms in
most cases complied with. This generous dealing with the pioneers
of a town stand out in bold relief against the meanness and positive
dishonesty shown towards settlers by certain land companies we could
name, and it is this generous dealing that has secured for the Canada
Northwest Land Company the popularity which they are sure to retain
so long as they are guided by such Conduct. They exact building
conditions to the value of $500 on lots purchased, so that undue
speculation is kept down, and thus confidence is maintained. The
Company are now selling lots on Angus avenue for $50.00 each. Angus
avenue is beautifully situated in full view of the Bow River and
already a building boom has commenced there. The Company last year
built a neat and handsome land office, which is occupied by their
agent, Mr. N. T. Ramsay, who will give the enquirer the fullest
information concerning lots and lands belonging to the Company.
Without disparagement to the other towns in which the Company
are interested, we are bound to remark that Calgary is without exception
the prettiest and the most eligibly situated of them all. The chief
manager of the Company for Manitoba and the North-west is William
B. Scarth, Esq., Winnipeg, to whose experience, energy and judgment
the Company are largely indebted for their prestige and popularity.
Chipman & Co.
This firm are in the hardware line. They did business first on ~he
the east side of the river, but last year they moved over to their
present premises McTavish street, opposite J. G. Baker & Co.'s
branch store. They keep on hand a very large stock of hardware. Mr.
Chipman is one of the principal owners of the Halifax Ranche Co. The
hardware business has been chiefly under the management of Mr. Fowler,
his nephew. This firm are about to close their business at this point.
Dates back to 1874. He was also in the Mounted Police force and served
with credit. He was engaged by Messrs. King & Co. in the summer
of 1883, and he is an efficient and a courteous salesman in that enterprising
firm. Mr. Carroll has also a ranch, on which he has made improvements.
Clark & Beaudwin
This firm are proprietors of the Castle Mountain Billiard Hall one
of the most popular resorts in the town. They first opened out upwards
of a year ago on the east side, but became west-siders in February,
1884. Their premises are situated on the corner of Stephen avenue
and ________street. Their buildings are 70x22. The hall contains two
Brunswick-Balke tables, and a bar supplied with the best temperance
drinks in the Northwest and the choicest cigars. Mr. Clark is esteemed
among the old timers. He was six years connected with the Mounted
Police Force having been stationed at Fort Walsh, McLeod and Calgary.
Mr. Clark last summer erected a neat cottage next door to the hall
where he resides. At the town election last fall he was elected a
councillor. He is one of the most devoted friends of the town, and
he has proved his confidence by actual works.
This gentleman came to the town in 1883. He enjoys the honor of being
the pioneer baker of the place. He opened out on the east side of
the Elbow river, and also opened on the west side in August, 1884.
His bakery was the first frame building in the new town. His present
shop and bakery are next to the Northwest Land Company's office, Stephen
avenue. In addition to his bakery, Mr. Claxton keeps a large and varied
assortment of confectionery. Mr. Claxton is doing a good business,
and it is rapidly increasing.
Mr. Cochrane located in Calgary in the latter part of last May. He
previously resided for two years at Prince Albert where he practised
his profession, in addition editing the Prince Albert Times. He is
originally from Halifax, Nova Scotia, having been admitted to the
Bar of that province in 1857. He is consequently the oldest admitted
barrister in the Northwest Territory. Besides his varied experience
in the courts of the other provinces and being a Supreme Court reporter
of decisions, Mr. Cochrane is well-known among Canadian journalists
and writers for his graceful and fluent style as well as for the vigor
of his pen. His defense of the prisoner McManus, tried for the murder
of Buckskin Shorty in July last, is admitted to have been able, the
prisoner being only convicted of man-slaughter, and getting off with
a light punishment. Mr. Cochrane has offices opposite the post office,
and he is working up an excellent practice.
Mr. Constantine opened out in his present stand last April. He bought
out Rivet's branch shop. He is a blacksmith and he makes a specialty
of horseshoeing. He has made considerable building improvements in
his line since he began so that now his premises are quiet large and
well fitted up. His location is next door to Rogers & Grant's,
One of the business men of Calgary, who says little and does a great
deal that is useful is the subject of this sketch. Mr. Cottingham
arrived in the latter part of June, 1883, and opened out across the
river, as a saddle and harness maker. In February, 1884, he moved
across the river with the throng, and located on Stephen avenue, nearly
opposite the Northwest Land Company's office. Last summer Mr. C. made
extensive improvements in his building, enlarging his store room and
putting another story on the structure. Mr. Cottingham is a good tradesman
He manufactures much of his own stock and he is doing a large trade.
Like the other pioneer trademen of the west, Mr. Cottingham is a man
of excellent education, of refined habits and an estimable citizen
Mr. Cuzner until a few weeks ago was Mr. Ogburn's assistant. He has
recently opened out on his own account in Mr. Millward's building
next door to the Star Bakery and two doors east of the Northwest Land
Company's office, Stephen avenue. Mr. Cuzner is an expert in his art.
His shaving and hair-dressing parlor has been elegantly fitted up.
Attached to his parlor are bath rooms, Tuesdays and Fridays being
exclusively for ladies.
His stock has been carefully selected and as he is a first-class
mechanic, he has already received a good share of customers. His
advertisement will be found opposite.
Cummings & Allen
The mammoth stables on the north-side of Stephen avenue west are conspicuous
evidence of the faith Mr. John Glenn has in the future of Calgary,
for these buildings which are leased to the above named enterprising
livery firm, have been pub up by Mr. Glenn at a considerable cost.
Messrs. Cummings & Allan are from Montana. Their stables are
the completest of the kind in the town, as their card elsewhere
amply attests. They opened out last August. Their accommodation
comprises livery, feed and sale stables, besides making a specialty
of saddle horses and furnishing new-comers, explorers and businessmen
with rigs and teams at moderate rates. Messrs. C. and A. are doing
a large and rapidly increasing business and are well appreciated
by the travelling public.
Is proprietor of the Alberta Laundry. This industry is situated on
the bank of the Elbow, near J. G. Baker & Co.'s old stand, and
has been in working order for three years. The laundry is one of the
most complete of its kind in the Northwest. At the invitation of Mr.
Dean we made a special inspection of the premises, and found everything
perfect. The wash-house is fitted up with the most improved machinery,
and the situation on the bank of the river could not be more favorable.
Mr. Dean takes the lead; his wife superintends the work, and much
of the success of the laundry is due to her industry. Their dwelling-house
is neat and comfortable; and the stables and hen-house are further
evidences of the industry of the proprietor. The advertisement of
the Alberta Laundry will be found elsewhere.
This gentleman's office and lumber-yard are situated on Stephen avenue,
immediately west of Sparrow's meat-market. He deals in lumber, shingles,
laths, sash, doors, mouldings, building-paper, etc., and always keeps
on hand a large stock in his line. Mr. Dick is a son of Mr. Dick,
of the well-known lumber-milling firm of Dick & Banning, of Manitoba.
His card is elsewhere.
The subject of this sketch is deserving of more than a passing notice.
In 1876 he joined the Mounted Police force, and was staff sergeant
until the summer of 1582, when he left the force and became guide
for a party of prospectors, who explored the coal-fields between Medicine
Hat and the Blackfoot Crossing, and was duly complimented for his
services. Mr. Dunne then took a position in the Indian Department,
and from that started the first hotel in Calgary, the Calgary House,
on the east side, which he and Mrs. Dunne successfully conducted until
the centre of business changed to the west side; though it may be
said that he was among the last to leave the old town-site, as the
Calgary Hotel was an excellent hostelry until the summer of last year,
when it was closed; Mr. Dunne is, however, one of those men who cannot
remain idle. After closing up his hotel we find him busily engaged
in working up a theatrical company: for, as soon as Boynton Hall (now
Calgary Theatre Hall) was projected, he was one of the moving spirit.
Its excellent stage and its arrangements are due to his experience,
taste, and judgment. The first theatrical performance of any consequence
ever given in Calgary-Byron's burlesque of "Diavolo "-owes
its success to Mr. Dunne, and his desire to furnish healthy fun and
intellectual recreation to the community; and if it has not been profitable
to himself, it has been a great benefit to the lovers of amusement.
Mr. and Mrs. Dunne deserve well of the Calgary people, and we are
sure that their efforts will yet be fully rewarded. In a sketch of
Calgary Theatre Hall elsewhere Mr. Dunne's name receives additional
A. Ferland & Co.
This enterprising firm do a general business. Their general store
is situated on the south side of Stephen avenue, nearly opposite the
Hudson's Bay Company's store. Four years ago Mr. Ferland commenced
trading in a covered wagon along the line of the Canadian Pacific
Railway from Flat Creek, 35 miles west of Brandon. He followed the
advance of the construction company. He did business for a period
at Broadview, Qu'Appelle (Troy), and Regina. Mr. Ferland was the first
business man to send a telegram from Leopold, now Regina. He also
did business for a time at Medicine Hat, and in 1883 he opened out
at the first crossing of the Bow, near the old ferry, about two miles
from the Elbow. He subsequently moved to the old town-site on the
east side of the Elbow. That was in August of that year. In April
of last year they moved to their present location on Stephen avenue.
In May of last year Mr. Ferland associated himself with Mr. Chas.
Watson, an old experienced trader. They have pushed their business
along the track to the Summit, and west to the Columbia. They have
a branch store at Laggan, in charge of Mr. Watson. Their business
last year. amounted to $50,000. Mr. Ferland commenced business with
$300, and he says he thinks his efforts have been successful, and
that he cannot grumble at the country. The firm have had plans executed
for a new block to be erected by them during the coming season Their
advertisement will be found on another page.
This gentleman is one of the pioneers who came in advance of the Canadian
Pacific Railway, and dates his arrival from 1882. He has a ranche
on the Bow River, and is also a land, mining, and general agent. He
is also deputy-sheriff for the Calgary district, and has lately published
a business directory of Calgary. His office is next door to Mr. Lougheed's,
barrister, Stephen avenue west.
This gentleman came in 1878. He was formerly in the employ of Winder
& Co., but he has for some time been engaged with Messrs. G. C.
King & Co. Mr. Fletcher does the outside work for this firm. Like
all the early comers he is a ranche-owner, and has made improvements.
Mr. Fletcher was formerly in the Police force, in which he served
Mr. Flint is a". old Northwester, having arrived in Manitoba
in 1874. He came to Calgary from Medicine Hat last year, and first
opened out next to Boynton Hall in December last. Mr. Flint is a connoisseur
in his art, and manufactures beer and porter that are second to none
in the Northwest.
George L. Fraser
One of Calgary's foremost business men, who possess real live pluck
and indomitable energy, and who has unbounded faith in the future
of Calgary, is the subject of this sketch. Mr. Fraser came to Calgary
from Arnprior, Ontario, in August, 1883. Like many Canadians from
other provinces, Mr. Fraser came to the Northwest to push his fortunes,
and if ever a man was entitled to succeed Mr. Fraser is certainly
that individual. Shortly after his arrival he opened out in the fruit
and confectionery line on Stephen avenue, and he has since continued
to increase his business whereever a legitimate opportunity has presented
itself. Like many other successful business men, Mr. Fraser has found
an untiring adviser and assistant in Mrs. Fraser, to whose sound judgment
Mr. Fraser is undoubtedly indebted for much of his success.
Mr. Fraser's latest enterprise and one which the younger portion
of the community fully appreciated was the building last fall of
a large skating rink on the corner of Ostler street and Stephen
avenue adjoining his store. This rink is second to none in the Northwest.
It was erected at considerably outlay, has been well patronized
since it opened, and it is now a recognised institution of the town.
Mr. Fraser contemplates turning it into a roller rink during the
coming summer and for this purpose he is importing a large number
of roller skates from Chicago.
Mr. and Mrs. Fraser have frequently served private and public
parties as caterers, invariably giving the guest the utmost satisfaction.
They intend, among other improvements in their store, to add for
summer use one of the latest and most improved soda water fountains.
Mr. Fraser expended several thousand dollars in his business since
he commenced and he has emphatically proven his faith in the future
of the town by substantial work.
Mr. Freeze started in 1883 in partnership with Mr. Vanwort and then
on his own account. He moved from the east side about the 1st of last
March. He moved his building also, and has since put an addition to
it and otherwise improved it. He has established a snug little trade,
especially with the mountains and several times during the past summer
he has taken gold dust in trade for goods. Mr. Freeze is an esteemed
citizen. He has proven his faith in the town by works.
He is a school trustee and no doubt will be elected to the next
council as he is popular, possesses go-aheadtiveness without being
reckless, and is regarded as a useful citizen.
One of the oldest of the "old timers" who put his trust
in Calgary and keeps his powder dry is the subject of this sketch.
Mr. French's advent to the vicinity of Calgary dates back fifteen
years ago. He first located at High River, and he was an eye-witness
of many of the old scenes and incidents that happened in the palmy
days. To Mr. French we are indebted for the origin of the fort, familiarly
known as "stand off;" for the boys stood off everybody who
undertook to interfere with them, hence the name. Mr. French has proved
his confidence in Calgary like every substantial citizen should by
works. He has already built five houses in the town, and sunk one
of the best wells in the place. Mr. French built at High River 12
years ago. He commenced to farm six months ago, and in his time he
has mined extensively in British Columbia and in other portions of
the coast He has unbounded confidence in the future of this district
James D. Geddes
Mr. Geddes located in the Calgary district about three years ago.
He first took up a ranche near the Ghost river, northwest of the Bow,
but preferring the Bow river country, he took up his ranche on the
last named river about four miles from town three years ago. Mr. Geddes
has upwards of two hundred head of stock, and has made extensive improvements.
In June last when the electoral district of Calgary was organised
he was elected its representative to the Northwest Council over his
opponent, Mr. Oswald by fifteen votes.
The Gerald House is a popular hostlery. Mr. A R. Gerald, well and
favorably known to old Winnipeggers, is its proprietor. The Gerald
House is situated on Atlantic avenue next door but one to the Exchange
Billiard Hall. The traveller will find the Gerald House a first-class
J.S. Gibb & Co.
One of the first traders to follow up the main line of the C. P. R.
during its construction was Mr. J. S. Gibb. He was one of the first
to pitch his tent on the east side of the Elbow during the boom"
and open out in the general line. When the rush to the west side took
place a little over a year ago, Messrs. Gibb & Co. moved across
to their present location nearly opposite the Dominion Land Office,
Stephen avenue west. This firm built the present fine premises, and
they keep on hand a large and varied general stock and are doing a
considerable trade especially with ranchers and new settlers. The
Calgary business is managed by Mr. J. S Gibb, who is a shrewd business
man and who is thoroughly at ease in his line. This firm have lately
established a branch store at High River Their advertisement will
be found opposite the title page of this book.
J. McD. Gordon
This gentleman is the efficient Dominion Lands Agent in Calgary. He
was appointed in May last Mr. Gordon's office is situated on Stephen
This gentleman is Inspector of Weights and Measures for this district,
Mr. Huggard was formerly in the same position at Winnipeg. He was
transferred to this place last year. His office is on Stephen avenue
west, next to the Rossin House.
Haines & Gridley
These gentlemen are the leading photographers in the place. Their
"Mona Gallery " is on Atlantic avenue, opposite the C. P.
R. station. They make a specialty of Indian pictures, groups and Rocky
Mountain scenery. They are fully abreast of the times possessing the
latest and most improved apparatus. Their card will be found elsewhere.
This gentleman has but recently arrived. He is the successor to Mr.
Alexander Macdonald, late assistant to Dr. Henderson, and manager
of Medical Hall It will be seen from the card published in another
place that this popular drug store has passed into the hands of Messrs.
Kenneth Campbell & Co., of Montreal, one of the largest wholesale
druggists in the Dominion. In addition to their magnificent wholesale
house in that city, they have two retail stores doing a large and
flourishing business. He is a courteous gentleman whom we can favorably
recommend to the notice of the public.
This gentleman came to Calgary in 1883. He is a graduate of McGill
College, Montreal, of which city he is a native. He was the first
medical practioner in the town. He has a large and increasing practice.
He is on the C. P. R. staff as a surgeon and his proven his faith
in Calgary by erecting a handsome residence in the town. Dr. Henderson
was one of the civic committee. He is public spirited and popular.
His name was mentioned in convention with the mayoralty last December,
but he declined nomination. He is quite a young man and in the rising
town of Calgary he cannot fail to give a good account of himself in
Richard T. Hardisty
This gentleman is the manager of the Hudson's Bay Company's business
at this place. Chief Factor Hardisty is, if we mistake not, one of
the oldest, if not the oldest timer in the Northwest. The store of
the Hudson's Bay Company was opened on the east side of the Elbow
River in 1875 in charge of Mr. John Bunn, Mr. Fraser shortly afterwards
taking charge. Mr. Hardisty's arrival in Calgary dates from August,
1883. His life time has been spent in the service of the Company.
He was stationed eight years at the Rocky Mountain House, four at
Winnipeg, and altogether nineteen years at Edmonton and Victoria.
He is still in his prime, and he is highly respected by classes, and
his friends may be counted in hosts. Few men have had better opportunities
or more experience to judge the capabilities of this district than
has Mr. Hardisty. Last year the Company's new store was built by Messrs.
Jarret & Cushing, builders. It is situated on the corner of Stephen
avenue and MacTavish street opposite Sparrow's meat market. It is
a large frame building with a handsome front, and it is now stocked
with general merchandize. The old store from the east side h as been
removed to the rear of the new building, and it is now used as a ware-house.
The Company do a large trade. Mr. Hardisty has an efficient assistant
in Mr. Parlow. Chief Factor Hardisty has proved his faith in Calgary
by erecting three or four substantial buildings his own private
property, notably the Dominion Lands office building and the building
occupied by Messrs. Rodgers & Grant, hardware merchants, a sketch
of whom will be found elsewhere.
S.J. Hogg & Co.
This firm, in which is associated Mr. Deacon, started in August, 1883,
and they first located near the old C.P.R. station, where they did
a large business in supplying the then active demand for lumber caused
by the building boom which prevailed at that time. In April, 1884,
they moved to their present extensive premises, opposite Glenn's stables,
Stephen avenue west, where they have commodious office room and plenty
of yard accomodation for their lumber a large stock of which they
always keep on hand. Mr. Hogg is a shrewd business man, and his partner
is a practical man of long experience.
At the first town election. held last December in Calgary, Mr.
Hogg was elected one of the Councillors. Although there were two
tickets in the field, Mr. Hogg enjoyed the distinction of being
the only candidate selected by both parties. such was the esteem
in which he was held by the electors. Mr. Hogg came from Lowell,
Ontario, and he is thoroughly identified with the interests of his
adopted town, of which it is needless to say, he is a firm and useful
George E. Jacques
To this gentleman belongs the honor of being the first watchmaker
and jeweller in the Bow River Valley. Mr. Jacques arrived in May,
1881, from Hanover, Ontario. He first located at Mr. John Glenn's,
on Fish Creek, making occasional trips to the infant then casting
their shadows before, Mr. Jacques bought a small log building in the
rear of J. G. Baker & Co.'s cluster of buildings near the Elbow
River. This was the first business of the kind opened. It was run
first as his own, and afterwards as Jacques & Wilcox, and they
did a thriving business. In March, 1884, Mr. Jacques, on his own account,
moved into his present premises opposite the Dominion Lands office,
Stephen avenue west. Considerable improvements were made in his store
last summer, and his large and varied stock of watches, clocks and
all kinds of jewellery attest to his rapidly increasing business.
Mr. Jacques is pushing, knows the value of being enterprising, and
of being a liberal advertiser, has built a house to his store, and
he ranks as one of Calgary's foremost successful business men.
Jarret & Cushing
This firm are architects, builders and contractors, and their workshop
is situated off Stephen avenue, in the rear of Samples' meat market.
They intend shortly to enlarge their workshop to 36 x 30, its present
dimensions being 18 x 30. They have ordered the latest improved planing
machinery, and they intend to do all the various kinds of work usually
done in a planing mill.
This firm, during the past year erected, under contract, a large
number of the principal buildings in town. They have recently put
up some buildings on the Mission property; and they are about to
erect a dwelling on the Mission property for Mr. J. Burland, one
for Sergeant Hamilton, and one for Mr. Rozelle. They are now completing
a residence for Messrs Rankin & Allan; and they are the contractors
for the new $2,000 residence of Mr. Rogers of Rogers & Grant,
which is to be erected on the Mission property, and another handsome
residence for Mr. R. I. Hardisty to cost about $4,000. The amount
of their contracts during the present year will probably amount
to $100,000 for buildings alone.
Messrs. Jarret & Cushing's advertisement will be found in
This gentleman is a builder and contractor of considerable experience.
He has now on hand a number of building contracts, among the number
a church at Fish Creek. He has only lately entered the field here,
though he has been in Calgary for some months. He is owner of Oxford
saloon, situated opposite Martin Bros. His advertisement will be found
in our advertising space.
Keohran & Seabury
are proprietors of the Exchange saloon and billiard hall, corner of
Atlantic avenue and Osler street. The Exchange is the largest saloon
and hall in the town. It is handsomely and tastefully fitted up. Messrs.
Keohran & Seabury arrived in Calgary in 1883, and first opened
out on the east side of the Elbow. About a year ago they moved to
their present premises. They are owners of the buildings occupied
by them and they have expended several thousand dollars in improvements,
thus proving their faith in the town. They are enterprising and are
now making an addition to their buildings, which is to be used a theatre.
It will be fitted up at a cost of several hundred dollars. Their outlay
in building improvements last season and recently will foot up to
$2,000. Their main hall is supplied with two billiard tables, and
the bar is stocked with the best light drinks and the choicest cigars.
Their advertisement will be found in another place.
G.C. King & Co.
This extensive firm dates back to July, 1883. They do a general business,
and first opened out on the east side of the river. Trade having centered
on the west side of the river, they erected their present large premises,
two frame buildings 39x60 on Stephen avenue east, and in July last
moved into them. They have carried at one time as much as $50,000
in stock, consisting of general merchandize. Their chief trade is
with the ranches, though they have a large local trade. The business
here is managed by Mr. G. C. King who has been eleven~n years in the
district. Mr. King is an attentive business man and his firm is recognised
as the leading house in the town. Their large and excellent stock
of goods fully attests the first-class character of their trade.
Eugene G. Kirby
is the efficient and attentive assistant to Mr. Gordon. He was formerly
connected with the Crown Lands Department of Ontario and since his
arrival here he has during the temporary absence of Registrar McLean,
acted as registrar, giving much satisfaction.
Rev. Father Lacomb
This distinguished priest and accomplished scholar is well and favorably
known all over the Dominion, especially in the North-west, where he
has spent many years in valuable work as a Roman Catholic missionary.
He arrived in Calgary in 1882, in company with Father Claude, who
is still at the mission. Rev. Pere LaComb in 1874 published a dictionary
of the Cree language, and he has also translated the New Testament
into Cree. The mission here is known as that of Our Lady of Peace.
It was first established 25 miles up the Elbow River a number of years
ago. Rev. Father Doucet was the founder; then came Father Scullon,
now of Edmonton. The mission was subsequently removed to the present
site of the Mounted Police, then in charge of Capt. (now Inspector)
Brisbois. Rev. Mr. Scullon moved the chapel to the old log building
about half a mile south of the present mission, which was occupied
until last September. Since Father LaComb came here the mission has
greatly improved. A new building has been erected. It is large and
commodious, and contains a chapel and residence for the priest The
Government some months ago issued a patent for the land, and a considerable
portion of it has been surveyed into town lots, and is now offered
for sale on reasonable terms.
Rev. Father LaComb is a popular man amongst all classes, especially
with the Indians, of whom he is a true and influential friend. In
all matters connected with the advancement of Calgary Rev. Father
LaComb has taken a warm interest, without sacrificing his duties
as a zealous missionary.
Lafferty & Smith
This firm are about to open a branch in Calgary, as we go to press.
They established their banking business in Regina two and a half years
ago, and they are known all over the Northwest as private bankers
of experience. Their branch at Regina has been under the able management
of Mr. Smith, who is establishing the agency in Calgary, and whose
experience and ability as a private banker rank well in all circles.
Mr. Christie takes charge of the Calgary branch, and we have good
reasons for believing that the advent of the firm here augurs well
for the future of the town. These gentlemen have connections with
all the leading banks and financial houses in the Dominion and elsewhere,
and as reliable private bankers we think they deserve well of the
Calgary public. Their banking house is next to the post-office, on
Leeson & Scott
This firm are proprietors of the Royal Mail Stage Line, whose advertisement
will be found elsewhere. They run weekly stages from Qu'Appelle Station
to Prince Albert, Battleford, and Fort Pitt, and fortnightly from
Calgary to Edmonton and Fort Saskatchewan. The route to Fort Pitt
is 500 miles, and that to Fort Saskatchewan 220 miles, being a total
route of 720 miles. Each stage has four horses, and there are comfortable
stopping-places along the route. Mr. George K. Leeson, who resides
in Calgary, is well and favorably known all over. He superintends
the Edmonton route; and Mr. Scott, who resides at Qu'Appelle, manages
the Prince Albert route. They run stages both ways, and since they
took the contract have given satisfaction to both the Government and
the public. They have spacious stables at terminal points, and their
stages are safe and comfortable.
This gentleman commenced the practice of his profession in 1 883.
His office and dwelling-house are situated on Stephen avenue east.
Dr. Lindsay is a member of the Town Council, but is at present absent
from town, and will be absent for some months.
James C. Linton
In April, 1884, this gentleman came from Rat Portage, Manitoba, with
a well-selected stock of books, periodicals, stationery, and bric-a-brac.
He opened out in his present store on Stephen avenue, two doors east
of the Royal Hotel. Mr. Linton is a courteous salesman and an attentive
business man, who is obtaining a good share of the trade. He makes
a specialty of 5cho~-books, and in his line he is ahead of the times.
His trade is rapidly increasing. His card will be found opposite.
James A. Lougheed
This gentleman is a lawyer. He opened his office in October, 1883,
first near J. G. Baker & Co., and removed to his present location,
next door to the Hudson's Bay Company, about a year ago. Besides the
practice of his profession, he is agent for the sale of Hudson's Bay
Company's lands and solicitor for the Canadian Pacific Railway Company,
and agent for other associations.
Mr. Macdonald was the first who started in the livery, feed and stable
business in Calgary. He first built on the east side of the Elbow
during the rush and then re-established his business on the west side
in September, 1884. Mr. Macdonald has built his present stables, situated
opposite Parrish & Co.'s, on Stephen avenue, and will be found
at his stables always, and his saddle horses, single and double rigs,
cart, wagon and pack horses, will be found without equal in the Bow
Mr. Macdonald is well-known among old-timers, and his outfit will
be found suitable to the growing demand. We can respectfully recommend
all new-comers to Mr. Macdonald's stables.
Mr. Mackenzie's arrival here dates about a year ago. He went to Silver
City and there opened a brick yard. This he shortly after-wards discontinued
and returned to Calgary in July last when he opened out near the railway
buildings in his line as bricklayer, mason and plasterer. Mr. Mackenzie
is a thorough mechanic. He is importing considerable quantities of
lime from the kiln at Kananaskis Pass, in the mountains. He is from
Inverness, Scotland, and his card will be found elsewhere.
This firm deal in hardware, stoves, tinware, paints, oils, groceries,
and provisions. They make a specialty of tin roofing. Their premises
are situated on the corner of Stephen avenue and street They came
to Calgary from Kincardine, Ont., in March, 1884. They have put up
one of the finest stores in town. They do a large trade with the Edmonton
district. They are strictly attentive business men whose trade is
James V. Martin
established himself in 1883 on the east side of the Elbow near the
Hudson's Bay Co.'s store, He moved over to his present location on
Osler street in rear of the Exchange billiard hall. He is a carriage-maker
and wheel-wright and makes this line a specialty. He is a thorough
mechanic. His card is in our advertising space.
Mr. Mickle passed through this country in 1862, and lived twenty years
in British Columbia. He spent a year at Fort MacLeod, and opened out
the first feed and livery stables in Calgary, in August, 1883, on
the east side of the Elbow. He gave up the livery business last fall,
but he is about to re-engage in it. His new place is on the Mission
property where he has erected a dwelling-house and stable.
Mr. Millward arrived in Calgary on March 6th, 1884. He located on
the new town site, Stephen avenue, next door to the new office of
the Northwest Land Company. He is a painter and glazier, and does
first-class work. Mr. Millward made extensive improve-meat in his
premises during the last summer. He enlarged his old store and rented
it to F. J. Claxton for a baker shop, and put up a new shop alongside
of the old one, which he has since rented to Mr. Cuzner for a barber's
shop. He also put up last summer a dwelling house in the rear of his
shop. Recently he removed his dwelling house to Angus avenue, and
has put up a new paint shop alongside of his house. Mr. Millward,
is an artistic workman. He is a firm friend of the place and public-spirited.
He was elected a Town Councillor last December, and was appointed
a J. P. for the North-west Territories last month He prepared the
design for the corporation seal, which consists of a "bucking
cayuse," ridden by a "cow-boy," with the Rocky Mountains
in perspective. Mr. Millward is a zealous Councillor and, although
quite a young man, shows much tact and judgment in the conduct of
public affairs. He is the son-in-law of Thomas Swan, Esq., one of
the fathers of incorporation.
James R. Mitchell
Mr. Mitchell is a practical tailor. He came to Calgary nearly two
years ago, in August, and located near J. G. Baker & Co.'s where
he remained until the west side rush took place, when he joined the
westward march. Mr. Mitchell has built his own place of business nearly
opposite the Masonic Temple, Stephen avenue; and he has firmly planted
himself in his line. He is an esteemed citizen, and is securing a
fair share of custom. Mr. Mitchell's card will be found in our advertising
Mortimer & Co.
This firm established themselves near J. G. Baker & Co.'s store
in July, 1884. They shortly afterwards established a branch on the
new town site. They moved to their present extensive premises on Atlantic
avenue, next to Vanwart & Son, last August. Mr. Mortimer, who
is the chief manager, is a man of live enterprise and push, besides
being a practical baker. His arrangement for the manufacture of aereated
waters are most complete, and he manufactures an article second to
none on sale. Lately the firm has had two patent blast ovens, built
at considerable outlay, These are something new and show that the
firm are fully abreast of the times in their craft.
We would respectfully direct the attention of our readers to Messrs.
Mortimer & Co.'s advertisement which will be found opposite.
One of the moving spirits who is connected with the progress and welfare
of Calgary is the subject of this sketch. Mr. Murdoch arrived from
St. John, New Brunswick, in what is now Calgary in March, 1883. He
came ahead of the railway, having left it at Swift Current, which
was then the most western point of railway communication at that time,
Mr. Murdoch was the first harness maker in Calgary who opened on his
own account. Lumber was then selling at the rate of $60 per thousand
and it was an exceedingly scarce article even at that price He at
once put a 12x12 shack on the west side of the Elbow. This was the
first frame building erected in Calgary and in this he went to work
at his trade. Shortly after the advanced graders reached the Elbow
Mr. Murdoch built a Tog house on the east side of the river at a cost
of $300, each log costing $2. Nothing cost less than a dollar in those
flush times. He subsequently built a small addition to his shop and
he remained doing business there until last February when his shop
and addition were removed to his present location on Atlantic avenue,
opposite the C.P.R. freight warehouse. Mr. Murdoch is a considerable
property owner in Calgary, and he has not failed to prove his confidence
in the place by works.
Mr. Murdoch is public spirited, and he has always taken an active
interest in the welfare of the place. In December, 1883, he was
elected a member of the civic committee, and amid many stormy scenes
he has invariably carried his point. He is the only member of the
council who was a member of the civic committee. He is personally
popular, a good public speaker, a reader of the best current publications,
and an attentive student of the Northwest ordinances.
He is a proficient tradesman, now manufacturing as good and as
cheap a saddle as can be made in Montana and made to order too.
He has the honor of being the first mayor of Calgary, and since
his election he has been appointed a Justice of the Peace for the
Northwest Territory. He is besides energetic, industrious and a
faithful worker in the interests of the town
Murphy & Martin
These gentlemen are merchant tailors. They opened out in their present
location Stephen avenue, two doors west of the Medical Hall in April
last. Mr. Murphy is a practical tailor and has had a long and varied
experience in Canada and the United States. They keep three or four
hands at work and are doing a good business. Attention is directed
to their card elsewhere.
E. McCoskrie & Co.
This firm carry on business of architects and mining engineers and
building surveyors. Mr. McCoskrie is well and favorably known all
over the Northwest. Their office is on the south side of Stephen avenue,
east of McTavish street, nearly opposite the Hudson's Bay Company's
store. Mr. McCoskrie has had upwards of thirty years' experience in
his profession. He was a resident of Manitoba for twelve years, most
of which time was spent in Winnipeg. He designed the plans and snperintended
the construction of the Merchants' and Ontario Bank buildings, and
Christ's Church. He also practiced his profession in Brandon and Regina
for some time where are to be found numerous proofs of his superior
architectural skill. In February, 1884, he came to Calgary where his
firm have been doing a large business. Mr. McCoskrie, who is undoubtedly
at the head of his profession, has already designed the plans for
a large number of residences and other buildings which compare most
favorably with anything of the kind in Toronto notably a general store
for Messrs. J. G. Baker & Co., Mr. Bleeker's residence on the
east side of the Elbow, the "Bungalow," a residence for
N. T. Ramsay, Esq. The plate glass front for Mr. Ogburn's barber shop,
which is equal to anything in Toronto. A church at Fort Creek, and
a private residence for the Rev. E. Parke Smith. The plans for the
proposed bridge across the Elbow have also been prepared by this firm,
also a block of stores for A. Ferland & Co., merchants.
One of the handsomest residences is that which Mr. Borrowdale
intends building just south of the town, on the mission property.
A number of plans of private residences have been prepared by the
firm, and these structures are about to be built on this property.
The Church of the Redeemer (Episcopal) is admitted to be one of
the prettiest in the Northwest. The design was made by Mr. McCoskrie.
Mr McCoskrie is connected with the Government in tile construction
of public works at Medicine Hat, and one of his latest experiments,
which has proved successful, is the manufacture of hydraulic selenite
lime and portland-cement.
The subject of this sketch is well and favorably known amongst hotel
people. Mr. McLeod came to Calgary in June, 1883. A carpenter and
builder by trade, he soon found employment with Major Walker, with
whom he worked until October of the same year, when he built and established
the Grand Central Hotel, which is one of the popular hostelries of
Last year Mr. McLeod rented the Grand Central to Mr. R. G. Ogburn.
The premises were renovated and greatly improved. Last month Mr.
Ogburn retired from the business, and it is now run by Mr. Hugh
McLeod, a nephew of the original proprietor, Mr. Neil McLeod retaining
a general supervision of the business. Of the many property-owners
who have proved their faith in the future of Calgary by actual works
Mr. McLeod stands at the head of the list, and in due time we hope
that he will reap the benefit of his enterprise and industry. The
card of the Grand Central will be found in our advertising pages.
McIntyre & Davidson
This well-known firm of watchmakers and jewellers opened out April,
1884. They have a branch of their business in Portage la Prairie,
Manitoba, which has been established four years. The branch here is
conducted by Mr. C. N. Davidson who is a skillful mechanic in his
line. They keep on hand a large and varied stock of watches, clocks
and jewellry, and plated ware, and they are continually adding to
their stock of jewellry and silverware. They erected a fine store
on Stephen avenue opposite the P. 0. last summer. Their advertisement
will be found on the opposite page.
These popular young men have recently taken the Rossin House under
their own management. It was formerly conducted by their father, Mr.
Archibald McNeil. The Rossin is a popular resort, and under its present
managers it is sure to retain its popularity. The Messrs. McNeil's
card will be found elsewhere.
These gentlemen are surveyors, real estate, and mining agents. Their
office is on Stephen avenue, next to Trott's drug store.
This gentleman started in May, 1883. He is admittedly at the bead
of his profession. His barber's shop, furniture, and outfit complete
is the best this side of Chicago. He first opened out in a small building
near Baker's store. Shortly afterwards he moved to a small building
next to the railway track, moving to his present premises opposite
the post office April 4,1884. His parlor contains six of the best
chairs made, besides a children's chair. In connection with his parlor
are three bath-rooms and one shower-bath-room. Mr. Ogburn has an artistic
design for neatness, and a taste for comfort and convenience of arrangement,
which few artists in the tonsorial line possess. He has a preference
for improvement, and does not allow himself to be excelled by competitors.
He has made arrangements for a new front to his parlor, plans of which
have been shown us. The new front is to consist of plate-glass 11
feet 4 inches high. The front itself will be 25 feet high, and ~ hen
complete it will have nothing to equal it in the Dominion. The ceiling
is to be worked by Mr. D. R. Clark, plasterer, of Calgary. The panelled
ceiling will be something elegant, and the corners will have nothing
superior in this country. Mr. Ogburn's enterprise is not exceeded
by his artistic taste in design and arrangement. He is at the top
of his profession, and never allows the times to come quite abreast
of him. His advertisement will be found on the opposite page.
Parrish & Co.
This firm, in which is associated Mr. T. Soules, have their place
of business on Stephen avenue, two doors east of the Castle Mountain
They carry on business as dealers in flour, feed, oats, bran,
shorts, produce, and provisions of all kinds. Their front store-room
is 24 by 50, with a capacious cellar and loft-room. They have also
a large addition in the rear of the main store-house.
They opened out a year ago last February, and during the past
summer erected the large building mentioned They have done a very
large trade in vegetables, and it is their intention to meet the
great demand for seed which is shortly expected. They have supplied
a large quantity of flour to the people of this district since they
commenced. The volume of their business for the past year will exceed
Much of their success is to be attributed to the careful and courteous
management of Mr. Soules, hacked up by the pushing enterprise of
Mr. Samuel Parrish, whose head-quarters are in Brandon, Manitoba.
A pioneer of the new arrivals is the subject of this sketch Mr. Patterson
followed shortly after Messrs. McLean and Thomas, and opened out in
a general line next to J. G. Baker & Co.'s, near the Elbow. As
an instance of the life that was in trade in those days, it is worth
mentioning that from the 5th of June to the 3rd of July, 1883 - less
than a month - Mr. Patterson took cash receipts amounting to $9,000.
As an instance of his energy, we may mention that he travelled on
foot from a point ten miles west of Maple Creek, and had his goods
transported in wagons from that point. Mr. Patterson remained doing
business near the Elbow until last April, when he came to the new
town-site with the throng. In March of last year he commenced to build
his present store on Atlantic avenue, next to the Grand Central, and
in the following month he opened in his new premises, adding to his
stock the finest lines of boots and shoes in the Northwest.
Mr. Patterson is an upright man and a practical hoot and shoe
manufacturer, and by strict attention to business and square dealing
he has worked up a large trade.
Peterson & Peterson
These gentlemen are lawyers. Mr. A. M. Peterson has his office in
Brandon, Man., the Calgary branch being in charge of his brother,
Mr. C. W. Peterson. His office is on Stephen avenue, opposite the
Northwest Land Company's office. Mr. Peterson is agent at Calgary
for the Saskatchewan Land and Homestead Co., especially for the sale
of the pine lands on the Red-deer River. His card will he found among
those of the legal profession.
This gentleman represents insurance, the following companies being
on his list: The Union Mutual, of Maine; the Accident Insurance Co.
; City of London (Fire); Commercial Union; and the Guarantee Co. of
North America. He is also agent for the Cunard Line. His office is
next door to Dr. Lindsay's, Stephen avenue east.
This gentleman is agent for the Northwest Land Company at Calgary.
He is a son of G. Ramsay, Esq., president of the Canada Life Assurance
Co., of Hamilton, Out. Mr. Ramsay has his office in the Land Company's
building, two doors east of the post-office, Stephen avenue. He is
courteous and attentive, and, in all matters connected with the company
he represents, business-like and obliging.
This gentleman is agent for the well-known firm of John Elliott &
Son, of London, Ont., agricultural implement manufacturers. He located
in Calgary about a year ago. Mr. Ramsay is also agent for the Domestic
sewing machine. He is also agent for pumps, buck-board and buggies
manufactured by John Campbell, manufacturer, of London, Ont. His office
is situated on Stephen avenue, opposite the town hall. His card will
be found elsewhere.
Rankin & Allan
These gentlemen established themselves in Calgary, April, 1884. ~heir
store is next door to Thompson Eros., north side of Stephen avenue
nearly opposite the Royal Hotel. Their line is exclusively dry goods
and finery in which they are experts, as they have had large experience
in the Old Country, in the United States, and latterly in Winnipeg,
Man. They are specialists in their line and from an intimate knowlege
of their business they are enabled to select their stock and buy to
the best advantage which is a benefit to their customers. They are
attentive to their business, courteous in their dealings and are building
up a safe and flourishing trade. Their advertisement will be found
John B. Rivet
is blacksmith and carriage~maker. He dates his arrival back to 1883.
He opened out on the east side of the Elbow, and subsequently established
a branch on the west side which he conducted until last summer when
he sold it out to Mr. Constantine noticed elsewhere. Mr. Rivet is
hard working and enterprising and his latest move has been to purchase
some lots just south of the 'station where he has put up a blacksmith's
shop and carriage works. His advertisement will be found elsewhere.
Mr. Rodway is a practical tinsmith. He dates back to August, 1883,
when he located on the east side. He was the first in his line and
he has pushed a steady trade since he began and has built up a good
business. Mr. Rodway remained on the east side until last August when
he removed his stock to his present stand which is the old Queen's
hotel on Atlantic avenue, where he may be found at all hours as a
busy worker. We can recommend Mr. Rodway to the attention of the Calgary
This popular hostlery was first established in 1883 by J. D. Moulton,
now of New Orleans. The present proprietor's Messrs. Martin &
Reilly took possession in October last. The Royal is situated on the
corner of Stephen avenue and McTavish, in sight of the C.P.R. station.
It is a leading resort of travellers.
Rogers & Grant
This firm opened out in May last Their premises are situated on Stephen
avenue opposite the post office. They carry on the business of dealers
in shelf and heavy hardware, stoves, tin, sheet iron and copperware,
silver and plated goods, cultery, oils, glass, black-smith supplies,
carriage hardware, anvils, bar iron, bellows, forges, cast-steel,
hammers, nails, barbed wire and so forth. They have had a long experience
in their line and keep the largest hardware stock west of Winnipeg.
Their present store is 20x30, they put up an addition last year, also
a large warehouse in the rear of their lot as their rapidly increasing
trade made it necessary for them to increase their stock. Their bar
iron and carriage hardware are a specialty. A special feature in their
line is that they handle heating and cook stoves, barbed wire and
heavy goods in car loads direct from the manufactory.
Their establishment is one of the most useful among the mercantile
firms in Calgary. In selecting Calgary as business place they have
wisely seen that in the near future the town must become a distributing
center. The firm comprises Mr. E. R. Rogers and Mr. Archibald Grant.
This firm deal in stock, and have an extensive meat-market on Stephen
avenue, opposite Trott's drug store, which they opened out in August
last. Mr. Samples, with whom is associated Mr. Marsh, is an oldtimer.
He has been in the country since 1871, and a large portion of that
time was spent in trading. He is essentially a stock man, who is thoroughly
at home with the fierce bovine. Mr. Samples has been successful. He
is now fulfilling a cattle contract with the Canadian Pacific Railway
Co., and he is also interested in a rich coal-mine in the mountains.
He is a western man of wide practical experience, and ranks as one
of the foremost business men in the district.
This gentleman arrived in Calgary last January. He is agent for the
Canadian Pacific Railway Land Department, which he assisted to organize
in Winnipeg in 1881. Mr. Scott has opened his office in the Northwest
Land Co.'s office, where he will give all information connected with
the sale of the company's lands in this district.
A.C. Sparrow & Co.
This firm entered into business in June, 1883. They opened out alongside
of J. G. Baker & Co.'s store. They are dealers in beef cattle
and other stock, and opened out their extensive meat market corner
of Stephen avenue and McTavish street in April of last year. They
have the most complete meat market west of Chicago. They have killed
upwards of 3,500 head of cattle since they commenced. Their slaughter
house which is situated about 2 miles from the town, is a most complete
establishment, as is also their meat market and conviences attached.
Their refrigerator and ice house are admirably arranged. They supply
a wide extent of country with dressed beef. They supply among others
the Medicine Hat miners and the Indian reserves. They have expended
about $25,000 in building improvements, fixtures, etc. They have erected
a large pair of scales on their premises, and carry on their business
on a most extensive scale. During the past winter a large warehouse
was constantly filled with dressed beef, pork and poultry, all of
which has been disposed of. The market business is conducted by Mr.
Charles Sparrow, and the branch of the business by Mr. Angus Sparrow.
Strangers should visit their market and see for themselves.
Mr. Shaw located on Fish Creek in 1883. He is neighbor of Mr John
Glenn and has entered into mixed farming with the right kind of pluck.
Mr. Shaw's excellent meteorlogical tables of the climatology of
this district, which are published elsewhere in this book, are a
sufficient proof of his painstaking ability. Since his arrival he
has kept an accurate record of the temperature winter and summer,
and his records are the most thorough and complete of any in the
district Mr. Shaw's services in this respect are deserving of the
recognition of the Government. His courtesy to the press in furnishing
correct information of the climatology of this district is entitled
to special mention. Mr. Shaw is also owner of town lots in Calgary
on which he has made substantial building improvements.
This gentleman is so well-known that a sketch of him seems hardly
necessary. He is from Ottawa, where he is well connected, he being
at one time Capt. of the Princess Louise Guards. About four years
ago he paid a visit to Fort McLeod in company with several capitalists.
Taking a fancy to the country he went into ranching near Pincher Creek,
forming a company, and at once brought in a large number of cattle.
In 1883 he purchased from Col. Irving and Capt. Denny, a portion of
their property on the east side of the Elbow River and had the original
town site of Calgary laid out. Capt. Stewart is also proprietor of
the Royal Mail Stage Line, which runs between Calgary and Fort McLeod.
He is full of enterprise, is already an experienced stock man, is
very popular, and is respected by all classes. He has been the means
of bringing into the country a number of worthy persons.
Capt. Stewart is destined to take a leading position as one the
chief men of the province of Alberta when the time comes. His card
will be found on the second page of the cover.
To Mr. Sirett belongs the honor of being the baker who made the first
batch of bread in the town. Mr. Sirett started his bakery next to
the Hudson Bay Co.'s store on the east side of the Elbow in July,
1883. He came over to his present location with the rush a year ago.
He uses in his bakery a patent revolving oven, and the finest Hungarian
process flour. His store and bakery are situated on Atlantic avenue,
opposite the station. His card will be found in another place.
Smith & Buck
These gentlemen are builders and contractors. Their workshops are
situated on Atlantic avenue west of King's store. Although the partnership
is of recent date, Messrs. Smith & Buck are amongst the early
comers. They give special attention to staircasing, store fronts,
fittings, scroll work, conservatory and ornamental fencing, inner
and outer venetian blinds, sash, doors and window frames. They do
substantial work and give the best satisfaction.
This gentleman carries on the business of dealer in and manufacturer
of all kinds of furniture. His establishment is situated next to Trott's
drug store, Stephen avenue. He commenced business last February, the
firm being A. E. Shelton & Co., but Mr. Shelton now owns and manages
the business himself. He is doing an extensive and rapidly increasing
trade which he has built up by strict attention to business. He makes
a specialty of office and school furniture and his aim is to keep
up to the requirements of the times in every particular. His card
will be found in another place.
J.G. Vanwart & Son
This gentleman came to Calgary in July, 1883. He went into partnership
with Mr. J. S Freeze, and they opened out in the general line on the
east side of the river until October of the same year, when they dissolved
partnership, Mr. Freeze going into business on his own account, and
Mr. Vanwart continuing the business at the old stand, taking in his
son as partner. Last October they moved from the west side to Atlantic
avenue, nearly opposite the C. P. R. station. They keep a general
stock, and through strict attention to business and uniform courtesy
are getting their share of trade.
Mr. Vanwart, senior, is an esteemed citizen, and although not
an ardent aspirant for municipal honors last fall, he was favored
with a large and influential requisition to become a candidate for
the mayoralty, which he ultimately declined.
This firm deal in books, stationery, periodicals, and fashionable
bric-a brac. Their store is a branch of the Portage la Prairie one,
conducted by the same firm. Their head store was opened there in 1881.
The Calgary branch was opened in April, 1884, in their present premises,
next to the post-office. Stephen avenue. It is conducted by Mr. M.
P. Thomson, who is an expert in this line of business. This firm have
also a branch store in Moose Jaw. They keep on hand a large and varied
assortment in their line, and since they opened their branch here
have done a good trade, and their business is rapidly increasing.
The drug store of these gentlemen is situated on Stephen avenue, next
to Sample's meat-market. They opened out last summer, and their stock
is complete in every department. They are doing a good business. Their
card will be found elsewhere.
Major James Walker
Thoroughly identified with the rise and progress, and especially the
manufacturing industry, of Calgary, is the subject of this sketch.
In 1874 Major Walker, in command of a troop of Mounted Police,
left Dufferin, Manitoba, for the far-west. He originally came from
Hamilton, Ont., and remained in the force until 1881. He was stationed
at Forts Pelly, Battleford, Walsh, and Calgary, and he left the
force in the year named and became first manager for the Cochrane
Ranche Company for nearly three years. The company, besides their
ranche business, imported a saw-mill, which Major Walker purchased
on leaving their service, and started the mill on his own account
as the Bow River Mills. The mill is located on the major's homestead
on the Bow River, about two miles from the crossing of the Elbow.
Having stated to the major our desire to visit his mill and lumber-yard,
he kindly sent us a rig and took us "through the mill,"
and showed us some of the mysteries of the art. The mill is the
most complete of the kind in the Northwest. Besides two gang-edgers,
there is a planing-machine - the "Economist," manufactured
by Frank & Co., Buffalo. N.Y. - a shingle and a lath cutter.
The planing-machine is capable of doing all the finest and fanciest
work, such as siding, ceiling, and other kinds of fancy lumber,
and the way the power is utilized by using belts shows that there
is no waste.
Last year Major Walker brought down the Bow River a million feet
of lumber, and during the present spring he will add another million
feet to his stock. The woods used are cypress, spruce, red and white,
and red fir.
Last summer Major Walker lost logs and suffered other damage by
the freshet to the amount of $20,000, He has taken care to avoid
a similar misfortune this year, as his logs are all above high-water
mark. His mill is finely situated on a "coolie," which
connects with the Bow River during high-water.
The lumber~yard is an evidence of the mill's industry. Huge piles
of boards, siding, shingles, laths, logs, and square timber are
to be seen on all sides. There is a blacksmith's shop, and also
a carpenter's shop, and a boarding-house for the mill hands. The
foreman, Mr. John Patterson, has been in Major Walker's employ for
two years, and the blacksmith has been with him since 1876.
Employment is given to at least fourteen men, and last year the
major paid out in wages $31,500. This force will be considerably
increased during the drive which will take place as soon as it thaws.
About a quarter of a mile from the saw-mill is the major's residence,
which was built last summer. It is situated close to the bank of
the river, and is without question the finest residence in this
part of the Northwest It is beautifully and handsomely furnished,
has all the comforts of a home, and is presided over by Mrs. Walker,
who is very kind and lady-like. We accept the major's invitation
to dinner, and enjoy his hospitality for an hour or two.
No private individual has done more to prove his faith in Calgary
than Major Walker. His enterprise has given employment to a great
many worthy persons, and he has been the means of bringing to the
country from time to time at least fifty individuals, all of whom
are doing well
The view of the Rocky Mountains from Major Walker's residence
is remarkably fine and extensive. The charming beauty of the location
he has made is a substantial proof of his judgment. Though his mill
has no competitor, its proprietor does not take undue advantage
of the fact. He turns out a good article at reasonable figures,
and he has assisted in the advancement of much that is good and
commendable, and by his industry has assisted the people of the
Major Walker in a substantial manner was the first Chairman of
the Civic Committee, and he is thoroughly identified with the welfare
of the place. His office is on Stephen avenue east, in charge of
his cousin Mr. John Walker; and his advertisement will be found
J. Douglas White
Mr. White is the pioneer painter and artist of the place. His advent
dates back to November, 1883, when he opened out his "Rockies'
Paint Shop" next to the old theatre hall on the east side. About
the middle of March, 1884, he moved to his present stand one door
east of the Dominion Lands' office. Mr. White is an artist of no mean
ability. He does house, sign and fancy work and has a competent assistant
in Mr. Foote.
For nine years he was a member of the 3rd King's Own Hussars,
and he has also been a sergeant in the East Lothian Yeomanry corps.
Altogether he has put in seventeen years in the service of Her Majesty,
and is yet in his prime as a soldier and mechanic. He holds a number
of diplomas from the Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, and from
other leading Art Societies, and is an esteemed citizen. Last year
he was superintendent of the C. P. R. paint work along the line
from Swift Current to Calgary and completed his duties last fall
to the entire satisfaction of the Company.
The office of this gentleman is situated one door east of the Royal
hotel. Dr. Wilson is a dentist by profession and he is one of the
oldtimers, having come to the locality in 1878 as a non-commissioned
officer of the Mounted Police, and for a while he was in charge of
the fort here. He was also stationed at Fort MacLeod, and at Blackfoot
Crossing. He returned from Fort MacLeod in March, 1882, and in September
of the following year he purchased his discharge from the police force
and immediately opened his office as a surgeon-dentist on the Elbow
near Baker's store. He remained there for nearly six months practicing
his profession. In April, 1884. Dr. Wilson moved his office to the
north side of Stephen avenue, next to Thompson Eros., where he remained
until last September, when he moved across the avenue to his present
cosy location. Dr. Wilson came from Kingston, Ontario. He has just
returned from a professional trip to Edmonton, where he spent some
weeks. He is at the top of the profession and is doing a good business.
Wood & Saunders
This firm, although doing business in MacLeod, are well and favorably
known in Calgary. They are the proprietors of the MacLeod Gazette,
the liveliest and ablest paper in the district. The Gazette is in
its third year. It is fearless and outspoken, especially in matters
connected with the District of Alberta generally.
It is doing good service both locally and territorially, and is
issued from the best filled up office in the Northwest Territory.
It is the best authority on ranche matters in the district, and
it has the largest circulation of any newspaper in ~he Northwest.
The dressmaking and millinery establishment of this lady is situated
on Stephen avenue, near the town-hall. She came here a year ago, and
has a large and excellent stock of fancy goods.
is a weekly newspaper published by Warner & Son. It was established
a year ago. It is a six column folio. The office is situated on Stephen
avenue, next door to the Herald office.
The "Herald" Newspaper
This is the pioneer newspaper of Calgary district It was established
in 1883. It is a seven column weekly and was first published by Messrs.
Armour & Braden. Last fall the Herald Printing and Publishing
Company was organized, and it is now published by the company. Messrs.
Armour and Braden being still connected with it. The Herald office
is situated on Stephen avenue, nearly opposite Fraser's rink.