Come visit one of our best resources – our library! We welcome the public at our facility. Our volunteers look forward to helping you discover what we have to offer for your genealogy research.
We are located in Calgary, Alberta, at 712 – 16 Avenue NW. This is a few blocks east of SAIT on the north side of the street. It is in the same building as Radiocrafts. There are parking spaces directly behind the building. Click here to view Google Maps
Online Library Catalogue
Our collection (over 12,000 items) is broad but does have an emphasis on materials pertaining to Alberta, the United Kingdom, Ontario, and the rest of Canada. Our online catalogue includes all books and reference material held in the library.
Hours of Operation
We have reduced our hours due to COVID-19, and are currently only open on Thursdays 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and Saturdays noon to 4:00 pm. Masks must be worn and social distance must be maintained.
We close on long weekends and at Christmas. Our summer hours vary. Please check the calendar for upcoming open times or closures due to weather. Special opening times can be arranged in advance for out-of-town visitors or other organizations by contacting email@example.com
Unless marked as Reference, items may be signed out by AFHS members for a one-month loan period.
- Journals and newsletters (some in digital format)
- Family histories
- Local histories
- General reference books
- Maps, atlases, and gazetteers
- The collection of Calgary Heritage Branch, Daughters of the American Revolution
- The collection of Calgary Branch, United Empire Loyalist Association of Canada
- Microfiche and microfiche reader
Copying & Scanning Equipment Available for Member Use
- A multifunction ink-jet printer/scanner/copier (up to 11 by 17 inches)
- An overhead scanner (Fuijtsu ScanSnap SV600), great for scanning fragile books or scrapbooks
- A flatbed scanner (17 by 22 inches) which can scan slides and negatives (Epson Perfection V600)
For assistance to use this equipment, set up an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We are very thankful for donations of family history materials as they are the backbone of our collection. Please read our policy document prior to bringing materials to us. It can be accessed here.
If you have any questions about our library or to volunteer, contact email@example.com
Selected Resources from Our Collection
Books about Alberta
Our catalogue can be searched by keyword, title, author or subject. This is a simple, basic search function. For best results:
- Use as few words as possible. For example, search for “Calgary” instead of “Calgary, Alberta”.
- If your query includes the word “and”, try using “&” instead of “and”.
- A keyword search will produce the largest set of results. To reduce the number, try searching in only the title or subject field.
- Results can also be refined by using a similar term or phrase in the subject search. For example, instead of searching for “genetic genealogy,” search for “DNA.”
Your search - - did not match any items.
- Make Sure All Words Are Spelled Correctly.
- Try Different Or More General Keywords.