Becoming a volunteer with AFHS after moving to Calgary has helped me meet new people. Being editor of the Chinook Arch newsletter has sharpened my editing and writing skills. I also enjoy volunteering at the AFHS Library. Being able to help other people learn more about their family is very rewarding!
We just couldn’t manage without all the dedicated people doing everything from running the library to helping new members to organizing audio/visual equipment at meetings. We have a lot of fun working together and enjoy each other’s company. From occasional tasks to Director positions on the Board, there are lots of ways to get involved as a volunteer with AFHS!
Opportunities to contribute include:
- Indexing and preserving local historical records
- Assisting members find resources as a volunteer librarian
- Sharing your knowledge by speaking at our monthly meetings or leading the discussion at a special interest group
- Collaborating on the Board of Directors to ensure the continued success of AFHS
- Raising funds for the Society by working as a volunteer at a casino
- Planning our bi-annual genealogy conference
Become involved! Make life-long friends!
Current Specific Needs
We currently have three indexing projects underway.
There are many great articles in our Society’s publications. We are in the process of indexing the past issues of Chinook and The Quarterly so they will be searchable on our Publications page.
Our projects team is indexing birth, marriage & death notices in the Calgary Herald. This is an ongoing project to make them searchable on our Data Projects page.
Work is ongoing to take photographs of headstones and index the information on the gravemarkers for our cemeteries website Alberta Ancestors.
If you could help with any of these indexing projects, contact email@example.com