After moving halfway across the country, AFHS provided my husband and I with a new community of friends with a common interest in family history. The resource library is fabulous and has provided us with many nuggets of information.
Family history can be a challenging hobby, and Alberta Family Histories Society has resources to help you! Check out these opportunities to learn and connect with us:
- We have a library located in Calgary with over 12,000 items and keen volunteers who would love to help you! See our Library page for details.
- We exchange our newsletter with many other genealogy organizations. Some of them have allowed us to post recent issues of their publications on a members-only webpage called Exchange Journals.
- We have several small groups called “Special Interest Groups” that hold meetings with a focus on a particular geographic area or genealogy topic. These groups are one of our best resources! Check our SIG page for more information.
- We publish a newsletter ten times a year that includes short articles and timely items of interest. This is also a wonderful way to share your stories, so submit yours to our editor. Read more on our Publications page.
- We have excellent presentations at our Society and Special Interest Group meetings. Whenever our presenters allow, we post videos, handouts and/or PowerPoint slides on Our Meeting Videos and Handouts page. This page is accessible by members only. A list of what is currently available to our members can be found here.
- On our Mapping page, members can submit locations to an online mapping project and connect with others researching the same names or geographic locations.
- The Cemeteries page is a good place to learn about Alberta Ancestors, our cemetery project.
- AFHS members also have the opportunity to create an online family project. Read more on our Family Studies page.
- Over the years, our volunteers have collected lots of data about Calgary and area. Read more on our Data Projects page.
- The best resource of all – our members! Let us know how we can help you, and we will do our best to connect you with the expertise which can be found among our members. Check our calendar for upcoming event information to connect with us.
Our library offers over 12,000 items and access to ancestry.com.
Our newsletter and previous journals have many helpful articles.
Meeting Videos & Handouts
Our members can access videos and handouts from past meetings.