Alberta Family Histories Society Welcomes You to Join Us! (* Indicates Member Exclusive Benefits)
- Access to the knowledge and experience of over 200 members of the Society
- Attend Society meetings with educational sessions and guest speakers*
- Access to Special Interest Group meetings and other free opportunities for genealogy learning*
- Full access to the AFHS Library with borrowing privileges not extended to non-members*
- A first-year 50% discount for a webinar membership at www.FamilyTreeWebinars.com (discounted to $ 24.98 USD, valid for new memberships only)*
- Receive our digital newsletter Chinook Arch ten times a year
- Receive our e-news Windsock regularly*
- Reduced fees for seminars, workshops and other paid activities of the Society, including our bi-annual conference Family Roots*
- Preserve your family tree project on our Family Genes project*
- Members-only website content:
- Meeting Archive of videos and handouts from previous meetings*
- Surname Mapping Project – ability to add surname interests to an online map, if desired*
- Back issues of Chinook, our award-winning journal published from 1993 to 2019 and The Quarterly, our journal published from 1980 to 1993 (over 13,000 articles)*
- Online access to Society bylaws, budget, annual report and audited financial statement, and policies*
- Updates of genealogical interest via the website “News” page, Facebook page and Instagram
- Access to the AFHS Members-Only Facebook Group*
- Opportunities to volunteer
- Gain friends with similar research interests and have fun!
Membership Year, Categories and Prices (Canadian $)
Currently, our membership year is from January 1 to December 31, and our renewal campaign begins November 1. Memberships paid in the last quarter of the year (October to December) will be extended to the end of the following year. Beginning on January 1, 2023, we will be changing to an anniversary-year membership, and memberships will be valid for 365 days from the day on which they are paid.
- Individual: $50
- Family: $65 – two or more persons residing in the same household
- Institution: $60 – institutions and organizations with similar or complementary objectives (non-voting and cannot hold office on the Board; also cannot borrow items from the AFHS Library)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I attend Society or SIG meetings if I am not a member?
We welcome guests and visitors at our meetings! Come check us out a few times, see if our programs meet your needs, and get to know us. We are a membership-based non-profit society, and if you wish to continue to attend, we request you take out a membership.
I do not live near Calgary. Is it beneficial for me to join?
Currently most of our meetings are being held via Zoom, so it is a great time to join if you live outside the Calgary area. Back issues of our journals and our meeting archive from past meetings would also be available to you. If you are looking for a place to post your family online, the Family Genes project is also a members-only benefit. In the future, we plan to add more members-only content to our website.
Become a Member
Memberships and renewals can be made online, by mail to our library, in person at a Society meeting or dropped off at our Library.
- New: Choose the category of membership you wish to purchase and click on the appropriate tile below. Create an account by filling in the form. You will need your credit card details to complete your purchase.
- Renew: Log in to your account (at the top right of the website page). Choose “Renew” and complete the renewal with your credit card details. We thank you for your continued support.
- Need assistance? Please email email@example.com
- Mail: Download and print the form below. Complete it and mail it to the address on the form with a cheque payable to Alberta Family Histories Society.
- In Person at a Society meeting: Download and print the form below. Complete it and bring it to any Society meeting. Payment may be made by either cheque, cash or credit card.
- Drop Off at Library: Download and print the form below. Either drop it off with payment in our secure mailbox or give it to a volunteer during open library times.
Photography and Filming Disclaimer
Please note that photographs and footage may be taken at Alberta Family Histories Society events. These may be used for marketing and publicity in our publications, on our website and on social media. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns.